We make a lot of short grain brown rice so there is usually some sitting around waiting to be used. This is a such a warm, nurturing way to start the day. Try it cooked a little less, and then cooked a little longer (add some liquid) and then decide how you want to prepare it. You can, of course, use long grain brown rice if you prefer.
- 2 cups leftover brown rice
- 1 apple
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water, rice milk, milk, or coconut water
- 1 tablespoon of brown rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- berries, pecans for topping (optional)
- Add rice, 1/2 cup liquid, sweeteners, cinnamon and salt to a pan and begin cooking over medium low heat.
- Peel and dice the apple, add to the pot.
- Stir to mix everything well.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Continue cooking about 10-15 minutes, until the apple has become a little soft. You may need to add some more liquid along the way. It should be wet enough to create a creamy consistency.