This recipe was originally printed in You Won’t Believe It’s Vegan! by Lacey Sher and Gail Doherty. I’ve made it for my family and they loved it!
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 ½ medium-size onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small yams, peeled and diced
- 8 cups of hot water*
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth powder or 1 vegan vegetable bouillon cube (if you used water)*
- ½ cup quinoa, well rinsed*
- 1 medium-size summer squash, diced
- ½ cup spinach, washed and chopped
- In a 4-6 quart stockpot, sauté the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and yams in oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Dissolve the broth powder in the hot water, pour over the softened vegetables, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the quinoa to the pot. Let cook until the quinoa starts to plump and soften, about 15 minutes.
- Add the squash and spinach at the end of the quinoa cooking time, and cook just until the vegetables are softened and wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
My sons liked this topped with grated parmigiana cheese. Jon used 4 cups Pacific brand Vegetable broth and 4 cups of water and eliminated the bouillon. Also, if you are not going to use this right away, it will thicken significantly, so you may want to decrease the quinoa a bit.